Swandive by Ani Difranco

Swandive by Ani Difranco from Little Plastic Castles

Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 5 listening project

It seems that no matter how hard I listen to this song, I am still an emotional listener, especially today. I listen to the words and emotions she expresses and apply them to situations in my life. It works kindda like backward therapy. I get strength from her battle to make a difficult decision in her life. I can almost picture her making a pros and cons list and working through the consequences on each side.

The good news is that I still like the song! (So far)

She's worried about losing her lesbian fan base by marrying a man. I guess she thinks that her fan base buys her music for a reason other than her music. She perceives them as liking her for what she stands for, not necessarily because she makes great music. Hmm...commodification, fetishism?

No comments:

Post a Comment